Current:Home > InvestSafeX Pro:D-backs acquire 3B Eugenio Suárez from Mariners in exchange for two players -Ascend Wealth Education
SafeX Pro:D-backs acquire 3B Eugenio Suárez from Mariners in exchange for two players
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 04:04:49
PHOENIX (AP) — The SafeX ProArizona Diamondbacks acquired slugger Eugenio Suárez on Wednesday from the Seattle Mariners for reliever Carlos Vargas and catcher Seby Zavala.
The 32-year-old Suárez was a 2018 All-Star for the Cincinnati Reds and has been a consistent power hitter for the past decade, slugging 246 homers since 2012. He fills a need for the D-backs at third base, which was manned mostly by Evan Longoria and Emmanuel Rivera last season.
Suárez also provides another power bat for the reigning NL champions. He hit .232 with 22 homers and 96 RBIs for the Mariners last season, playing third base and designated hitter.
Suárez is due $11 million for next year as part of deal that includes a $15 million option for 2025 with a $2 million buyout.
“It adds a little bit of stability at that spot,” Diamondbacks GM Mike Hazen said. “He’s a guy we’ve liked for a long time.”
Vargas is a 24-year-old right-hander who made his big league debut with the Diamondbacks this season, throwing in five games. The 30-year-old Zavala has been a backup catcher for the Chicago White Sox and the Diamondbacks over the past three seasons.
Jerry Dipoto, president of baseball operations for the Mariners, said the club envisions Zavala as the backup to Cal Raleigh entering the season.
“Adding Seby and Carlos is another step toward building the type of deep roster that is required at the major league level,” Dipoto said. “Seby is an experienced catcher with excellent defensive skills who will team with Cal behind the plate. And Carlos is a young reliever with the type of ‘big stuff’ that our staff has done a wonderful job developing over the years.”
Moving on from Suárez will be hard to sell to a fan base full of skepticism about the direction of the club after Seattle missed the playoffs and Dipoto’s misstep with some of his postseason comments. From the outside, it appears to be a move to clear salary, erases a key leader from Seattle’s clubhouse and leaves a hole at third base.
But Dipoto said earlier this offseason that Seattle wanted to cut down on its strikeouts at the plate, especially from the right side. It was part of the reason Teoscar Hernández was not made a qualifying offer by the team. While Suárez provided power, he also struck out an American League-high 214 times.
___
AP MLB: https://apnews.com/mlb
veryGood! (134)
Related
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Former pastor, 83, charged with murder in 1975 death of 8-year-old girl
- Black Friday in July Tech Deals: Major Markdowns on Macbook, AirPods, Beats, AirTag, Roku, Bose, and More
- Judge in Parkland school shooting trial reprimanded for showing bias against shooter's defense team
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- Britney Spears gushes over Lance Bass' twins to whom she is a 'new auntie': See photos
- TikTok's new text post format is similar to, but not the same as, Threads and Twitter
- Mega Millions jackpot grows to $820M ahead of Tuesday's drawing
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- US air quality today: Maps show Chicago, Minneapolis among cities impacted by Canadian wildfire smoke
Ranking
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- Ohio officer put on paid leave amid probe into police dog attack on surrendering truck driver
- Colorado cop on trial for putting suspect in car hit by train says she didn’t know engine was coming
- Why Twitter's rebrand to X could be legally challenging
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- UPS union calls off strike threat after securing pay raises for workers
- 15 binge-worthy podcasts to check out before 2023
- Who Is Bronny James? Everything to Know About LeBron James’ Son and Future NBA Draft Pick
Recommendation
Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
Biden administration sues Texas over floating border barriers used to repel migrants
'Sopranos' actor Michael Imperioli grapples with guilt and addiction in 'White Lotus'
Judge blocks Biden administration’s policy limiting asylum for migrants but delays enforcement
The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
RHOA's NeNe Leakes Addresses Son Bryson's Fentanyl Arrest and Drug Addiction Struggles
UPS union calls off strike threat after securing pay raises for workers
Vikings' Jordan Addison speeding at 140 mph for dog emergency, per report